The Renewable energy sector is evolving at a rapid pace and we understand that our OH&S processes need to be best in class in order to achieve our vision of building the best renewable energy company in the world. Considering this we have developed our OH&S standards in consultation with DuPont Sustainable Solutions. We involved our operations team to ensure that our process of development of standards and procedures is fully integrated within the organizational culture/way for of working. We are making all efforts to set a benchmark for the renewable energy companies in all aspects of business including OH&S.
Renew Power has a structured Safety Governance process with an Apex Committee led by the CMD supervising and guiding the functioning of four committees. These committees have been formed on PDCA approach (Plan, Do, Check, Act) and each committee is led by a senior leader who is a member of Apex committee. These committees are (i) Policies and Procedure Committee (ii) Corporate Implementation Committee (iii) Audit and Monitoring Committee (iv) Capability Building Committee. Implementation teams have been formed in each business vertical ie. Solar, Wind, Asset Management and B2B, led by a senior leader (member of Apex committee).
This integrated organization structure has been formed to drive Safety culture in the organization where in leaders demonstrate keen interest in driving safety across sites and offices. We have developed ReNew specific HSE standards and procedures as per risk identified for the business. We have developed competency by training cross functional team members from business to support the HSE Team.
HSE Metrix and performance reporting is a very important part of communication to all stakeholders. We have a dedicated online tool ‘Gensuite’ for real time reporting of incidents, unsafe acts and conditions and HSE related audits. The observations are tracked through action tracking system (ATS) for the closure actions. We also communicate the OH&S status to our board members on a monthly basis covering all important parameters. OH&S is an integral part of our annual sustainability reports.
OH&S performances are also reviewed every month at various committee meetings with internal stakeholders such as:
- Board Review
- Monthly Business Review
- Apex HSE Committee Review
- Committee Meetings Review
- Site Safety Committees Review
HSE updates are integral part of all periodic communications released from Chairman’s desk to all employees.
ReNew has developed a systematic approach for measuring, monitoring, and reporting its HSE performance on a regular basis. As part of our annual business plan exercise, action plan are prepared which are viewed during monthly HSE performance reviews. Periodic inspections and audits are the means of monitoring the HSE performance at the site.
- Informal Inspection – Informal inspections include the daily visual inspection of the workplace conditions. All employees need to conduct informal inspection as part of their daily routine and report all the unsafe act/condition identified through the Gensuite (our online HSE dashboard) for monitoring.
- Formal Inspection – Formal inspections are documented through visual tours of the workplace, used to identify hazards and hazardous conditions. Formal site inspections are conducted periodically by the project team members, Operation & Maintenance site teams and the project SE leads. The observations are reported in Gensuite for monitoring and tracked for closure.
Audits – Audits are much more detailed than inspections and focus on the overall implementation of the HSE Systems. This includes the assessment of systems related to communication, administration, documentation, HSE related education, training and implementation status of standard and procedures at the sites.
- Internal Audits – We have developed a pool of internal auditors to internal audit system. Internal HSE audits are scheduled once in a year for all commissioned sites and once in three months for project sites. Audit scheduling and adherence to audit schedule is monitored and reviewed by Audit committee. We also engage external agencies conduct HSE audits on our behalf and share report directly with the Apex committee.
- External Audits – IMS surveillance/recertification audits are carried out once every year by external certification agency.
ReNew has competency building committee as part of integrated HSE organization. HSE related competency has been mapped for each role in various business/functions. We have also developed a pool of 170 internal trainers from various business function certified through Du-pont for imparting training on implementation of HSE standards and procedures. We have also developed e-learning modules on high risk HSE standards, and the training compliance is monitored through online Learning Management tool.
In case of contractors or turnkey contractors having sufficiently developed standards on EHS management, the training is sub-let for their respective employees as per ReNew standards and gets monitored for the completion and sufficiency of these programs.